How to Organize an LLC (Utah)
*Note: These steps are for creating an LLC in Utah using the Utah Division of Corporations and Commercial Code website. This process can also be completed in their office located at the Heber M. Wells Building
160 E. 300 S. 2nd Floor
Salt Lake City, UT 84111
1. Navigate to the Utah Department of Corporations and Commercial Code website at http://corporations.utah.gov/
2. Near the top of the screen click on the tab titled “Business Entities”
3. Under the “Limited Liability Company” heading click on a link entitled Domestic, Professional, Series Domestic, Foreign (outside the state of Utah), or Series Foreign (outside the state of Utah).
1. A Domestic LLC is a fundamental Limited Liability Company, namely, the LLC does not provide services that require a Professional License
2. Professional LLCs are Limited Liability Companies that provide services which require a Professional License
3. “A Series Domestic Limited Liability Company must have notice in a company's articles of organization of the limitation on liabilities of a series, as required by Section 48-2c-606, is sufficient whether or not the company has established any series at the time the notice is included in the articles of organization.”
4. A Foreign LLC is a Limited Liability Company organized and operating under the laws of another country, government, or state
5. “A Series Foreign Limited Liability Company must have notice in a company's articles of organization of the limitation on liabilities of a series, as required by Section 48-2c-606, is sufficient whether or not the company has established any series at the time the notice is included in the articles of organization.”
*Note: The following instructions relate directly to Domestic and Professional LLC formation. However, a nearly identical process is used for the Series Domestic, Foreign, and Fore
4. From this page we will need to open two documents, the Articles of Organization and the instructions for filling them out
1. Near the bottom of the page under the “Forms” category, right click on the “Articles of Organization” link and open it in a new tab or window. This form enables you to electronically input your LLC’s information.
2. Return back to the bottom of the page where the link was located and select the “Articles of Organization” link again. (You should now have two copies of the same document open.) Next at the top of the second copy of the document click on the link titled “Instructions.” (You should now have the Articles of Organization and the Instructions for filling them out open in separate tabs or windows.)
5. Using the instruction sheet and the additional information included in the Articles of Organization Document input the information pertaining to your LLC into the highlighted fields in the Articles of Organization document. Questions about the application can be resolved by calling them toll free at 1-877-526-3994 or by visiting http://www.corporations.utah.gov/contactus.html and clicking on the online chat link.
6. After filling out the required information and saving the document print out a copy. There is a one-time processing fee of $52.00 which can be paid by cash, check, credit card, or money order. To finalize your LLC simply mail or fax the Articles of Organization and payment to:
Heber M. Wells Building
160 E. 300 S. 2nd Floor
Salt Lake City, UT 84111
7. Once the form and payment have been sent, the LLC will be registered within 24hours. Congratulations on your successful formation of an LLC!
How to Organize an LLP (Utah
1. Navigate to www.bizfilings.com
2. In the orange bar near the top of the page click in the first box (select a state) and scroll down to select Utah. In the next box (select a business type) scroll down to select Limited Liability Partnership.
3. You then have 2 options:
1. Fast Quote – clicking this box will take you to a page that has 3 different package options for an LLP from which you can choose which best fits your needs. You can select the one you want and then continue with forming your LLP.
2. Order Assistant – clicking this box will take you through a few questions about your business and, based on your responses, will recommend which of the packages are best for you. This eventually leads to the same place the Fast Quote box takes you to.
4. After selecting which package you would like (for these directions I chose the “Standard” package) click the next button at the bottom of the page.
5. You will now need to fill out a form with all your contact information. Fill out the required fields accurately. If you prefer, you can mark the box at the bottom of the contact information that says “use email as primary means of communication.” If you do not wish to participate in an instant toll-free number 30-day free trial then mark the little box at the bottom of the offer.
6. When you are finished with the contact information page, click the next button at the bottom of the page.
7. On the company information page, enter both your first choice and second choice names for your company in the appropriate boxes. Then in the business purpose box type a brief description of your business.
8. Again click on the next button at the bottom of the page to continue.
9. The next page will ask for your company address and your registered agent information. You can choose to use the street address you entered earlier under personal contact information if it is the same for your business or select enter a new address. Choose which ever is true for you. Then you can choose to either use BizFilings as your registered agent or be your own registered agent. There is a bulleted list of the benefits of each you can read. Choose which best fits you, then click the next button at the bottom of the page.
10. You will now need to provide the information for each of your partners. Enter their names and addresses in the boxes provided. If you need to add more boxes for more partners, there is a little blue button at the top right of the box that says “add partner” you can click on. When you are finished again click the next button at the bottom of the page.
12. Before finishing BizFilings requires you to create an account with them. Choose a username and password and enter them in the appropriate fields and then click the create account button.
13. The final step is payment. You can use Paypal, credit card, send a check, wire a transfer ($30 fee), or call in order to pay. Choose which option you prefer and provide whatever payment information is needed. Once you are finished click on the submit order button at the bottom of the page.
14. Follow the instructions given after payment is finished and then you are done!
15. Any time during this process you can click the save and finish later button at the bottom of the page and it will save your information for you to come back to and finish later.
16. If you have any problems or questions you can call 800-981-7183 or 608-827-5300
How to set up a partnership (Utah)
1. Start by going to http://www.start-a-partnership.com/services/Limited-Liability-Partnership.php.
2. Enter your name, email and the state you are starting your partnership in. Click on the drop down box and how you are going to expedite your order. Then choose how you want to have it shipped.
3. The next step is to choose want small businesses services you want.
a. Click box and choose Federal Employer Tax.
b. Click box and choose whether you have a S Corporation or not
c. Click box and choose if you have a registered agent or not. (If you don’t have one then you really need to get one.)
d. Click box and choose if you have a trademark or not. A trademark is not necessary.
e. Click box and choose if you would like a corporate compliance.
4. The next section deals with business licenses.
a. Click box and choose how you wish to deal with your business license
b. Click box and choose if you are going to be doing business in more than one state.
c. Click box and choose whether or not you want a sales tax permit
d. Click box and choose if you are going to get an employment tax permit.
e. Click box and choose yes or no on vending license. Most states require these licenses.
5. The next section deals with legal documents.
a. Click box and choose which corporation kit you want.
b. Click box and choose which corporate seal you want.
c. Click box and choose if you want company bylaws.
d. Click box and choose how many share certificates you want.
e. Click box and choose yes if you want certified copies.
f. Click box and choose if you need an international apostil. If you are planning to do international business then you will need to obtain an international apostil.
6. This last section is for those changing a business that has already been created, so you can just skip this step. If you had any questions on the previous steps simply click the question mark on the website next to what you had a question about.
7. Click start order
8. Fill in partners information (name, address, work phone #, email) and then go to step 2
9. Business info
a. Enter your business name
b. Enter business address and contact info
c. Enter business info
d. Name director of the business
10. Go to step three
11. Look over info to make sure that it is correct, if not then make the changes and then go to last step.
12. Fill in your personal information (name, address, phone, email, and birthday) so that the partnership can be formed.